Monday, August 11, 2008

SCV point

My scenario:
I called SCV before and asked they whether is my area signal activated. They said it is. I asked them whether in order to add, move TV points must I asked SCV only to do it? They said we can find our own contractor to do it.

After the TV points is shifted and additional points is installed, (reno almost done), I installed the TV and tried to tune the TV but I could not get any channel. Called SCV and SCV said that my unit is not activated yet. I was like huh?!?! I thought activate mean whole block activate? And they said they will need to send a guy to check and activate the points. They even told me that my unit was not activated as when SCV change the points for the block, no one is staying in the unit so the point was not activated. I was like huh?!?! the point was firstly done by SCV in the first place, u mean SCV do not trust their own skill of activating the points? Is activating the TV points so difficult?

Last Friday (25/01/2008), took leave and waited for the SCV guy to come down. He came and told me that he cannot activate the points as the splitter and connector outside the house was stolen. Then told me I can either call HDB to come and do it and wait and then arrange another day for SCV to come down or can let him do it at a fees, splitter $20+, each connector $0.50. I was like huh?!?! U think I am really that free to keep taking leave? But I called HDB and HDB send their guy immediately.

Next he checked on my points, and he said cannot, want to see the original points (which is inside the false wall). He said must knock the wall to see the points. I was like huh?!?!? knock the wall? then it would be very troublesome for me. My reno is already almost completed left the mirror. Then he said something about my splitter in the house. He said although HDB has approved it but SCV has not. I was like huh?!?!? HDB approve but not SCV??!?!? Wat is this?

While HDB guy was fixing the connector, I heard the HDB guy asked the SCV guy, want to connect? The SCV guy said no cuz failed. Now I know that to activate the signal is just to connect the cable connector together.

The SCV guy "activated" my points in store room cuz is not modified before and connect my hall and mbr points to MATV (old roof top antenna). I can tune to normal TV program now but a bit blur. I think I heard before they are going to remove the antenna, so how am I going to watch TV then? Then he told me I cannot use SCV services like internet or cable services then. Told me either I knock the wall to let him see the connect (which might also not be approved by him, then have to pay for his service to rewire again) or pull SCV cable line into the house using their service which of cuz cost $$$. I am stuck here.

I called SCV today to complain about the situation and they told me my area is already activated!!!!! Waiting for that guy to call me back.

I want to know whether if I got the new flat and first thing is to activate the point and then if I change the points, SCV will not know. So what is the different now???? They just want us to use their own people so that they can earn $$$???? And if I know that the SCV connector outside is missing, if I did not call SCV down to check and just called HDB to replace it, then the signal will still be activated. Why is SCV making life so difficult.

Anyone experiencing all this crap from SCV? Want to share? And what happen in the end?

*****************
REPLY :

What the HDB and SCV people said are true, unfortunately.

This is what I understood:

HDB build the flats and appointed a contractor to lay the cables, whom is at the same time approved by SCV. Thus, SCV trust this contractor for their job. However, everytime HDB build a block of flats, SCV cannot follow them to go around activating every unit; not economical. So all TV points are connected to HDB's antenna by default until someone buys an unit and call SCV to come and connect the TV points to SCV's cable.

Further complications come in when we do renovation; as we all will experience, the TV points are always shifted according to our designs, but of course we will get our own electrician to do it. This is the issue; SCV only trust that HDB's contractor, but not your electrician. So they will only activate those points laid by the HDB's contractor, ie the original points.

The reason for doing this is that in any case where the signal becomes bad, SCV will cover all costs to repair it. So its only fair to them that from the SCV's cables underground right to the TV point, no one else touches anything except for their own contractors. Realised on the original points, there is a sticker from HDB that says no tampering.

Also, when they 'activate' the points, they will put another sticker on it with starhub's logo. This is the so-called 'warranty' for them to be responsible for that TV point. Well you could activate the points straight after getting the keys and shift them thereafter, but the key don't get caught lor. If anything happens and they realised that it had been tampered with, they have the right not to be responsible to repair it.

********
REPLY 2

Try calling again for another person to come and activate?

For me it was lucky; after a few packets of drinks and some sweet words, the guy pasted the starhub sticker on the TV point in my feature wall, which is in the middle of the room and the cable ran under the parquet by my electrician.

You do realised that the gist of this lies heavily on that guy who come and inspect your house; so do your best to tackle him lor. For the guy who came to my flat, his rationale was that as long as signal is strong then he will activate and paste the sticker, dun care if original or not.

***************
REPLY 3

see most problems mentioned above is created because most of us will not know until we are told. In this case, i put that responsibility on your electrician because they should know better.

1. Never concealed your SCV cable point. If you concealed it, how they check the signal? Or in future there is problem with the signals, they need to check the point too. Try to install a cover instead.
2. If possible, get SCV technicians to install new cable points or shift, they charge a fee for that but then if you asked your electrician to do it, they charge the same likewise.
3. Every new blocks had a mass activation date where SCV will send their technician to the estate to do a MASS ACTIVATION. If you miss this date, they usually had a second date for every block for mass activation. If you unfortunately collect the key after the activation date, or other circumstances, you are required to pay a fee to ask them to come down specially to activate for you. (Talk to them nicely and they can waive it off)
4. Make sure they paste the stickers on your cable point. It is like a warranty sticker so anything happens to the signal in future you can get SCV to come down and check.
5. Cont. from Point 2. If you get your own electrician to create a new cable point or shift it, SCV will not be responsible for any signal problem. Either you should contact your contractor about the problem, otherwise SCV will charge a fee to test and certified for any cable points created by 3rd party.

Most people simply blames SCV because they didn't know about how complicated it can be. If you follows above, you are safe.

2 comments:

Wanna say something?

Popular Posts

Latest Comments